Monday, December 28, 2009

Is a nail technician a good career move for me?

I'm 35, married, with 2 kids (12 and almost 2). I've worked in corporate america for almost 10 yrs. Now I'm sick of it and I want to spend more time with my family. I want to become a nail technician, and build it into a business so I can quit my job. My husband and I both work and make decent money. I want to start now so when my baby is ready for school I can work for myself. Am I crazy to think that doing nails is a good idea??Is a nail technician a good career move for me?
I was a nail tech for 10 years, so speaking from experience it is a great job once you build up a clientele. But remember it takes a while to get a steady clientele. After I got my license I did a lot of sitting around and I was working on commission. That is the best way to start until you get a good steady clientel. Once you establish that you can booth rent and then you will be able to set your own schedule. But keep in mind that booth renting can cost you anywhere from 75- 150 a week depending on where you live and you have to buy all of your own products which can be expensive. I would say its a hit or miss type of job. Some people do well at it if they are good others don't. I had a great clientele and made about 30,000 a year working part-time. The only reason I quit and gave up my clientel is because I went through a divorce and needed to have a steady pay along with benefits. Good Luck to you and I hope this helps!Is a nail technician a good career move for me?
I have worked as a nail tech in a day spa and it was great. It is not stressful, it takes about 3 months of training, you can usually create your own hours, and you get to talk to women all day while providing them with some relax time. Not to mention it is rewarding making others feel good about themselves. I think it is a good idea and the flexibility is great. You can make decent money but I am sure it will not compare to corporate America. One thing to think about is the busiest days of a salon is in the evening and on the weekends and that is where you will make your money. Good luck!
no it is not crazy... but I would advise that if you are planning to do this be passionate about the job you plan to do... if you have doubts then you aren't going down the right path...





good luck
  • hand soap
  • eye
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment