Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I want to do nail technician work outside of my current job, will i have to pay tax?

I'm currently on maternity leave and done a nail technician course in this time, I'm due to go back to my normal job in April but i want to do some private work doing nails. Will i have to pay tax and stuff like that? I have no idea, and i don't want to get in trouble?I want to do nail technician work outside of my current job, will i have to pay tax?
You don't have to set up as a limited company and deal with Companies House for this.


Register with your tax office for self-employment, and you will get an annual Tax Return with a self-employment page, and an employment page. This should be done within three months of starting. If your earnings are small, it may be possible to include a restriction in your code number to collect any tax involved. Otherwise you will pay on the set dates of 31st January and 31st July, although it is a bit different for the first year of trading.


When were you thinking of starting? No doubt you are on reduced pay at the minute, so there may be no liability for this tax year, which ends on 5th April, depends on what maternity pay you are getting. I assume you will do both nails and job after April?I want to do nail technician work outside of my current job, will i have to pay tax?
Hi, yeah i will be going back to work in april which is when my paid matinity is up. i dont know wat the exact percentage is but i get about half of what i was getting. and i want to start advertising for doing nails in my spare time, i wont be earning much but i want to do things the right way.

Report Abuse



Yes, if you want to work privately you will need to set yourself up a limited company and register your company with Companies House. You will have to fill in a tax return and pay tax on your earnings but at the same time, you can claim things like travel costs and materials back so that you're not paying tax on them.





Have a look at the link below which will give you an idea of how to get started (but this isn't an official source; you might find that there are some government websites which are more useful).
Yes you have to pay tax on all earned income, you need to have a word with HMRC as to how you go about it.
Of course, all income is taxable.

No comments:

Post a Comment